30 June 2012

Perfume Diary Part 2



14th April 2012 - My first testing mission at a department store - completely ignorant about "notes".  Please note that my taste changes fast and that this may not reflect my current opinions on these fragrances.







Bottega Veneta
Opened with a soft but (too) sweet note.  The lady said "it has real leather" as she sprayed the paper, and I commented on how it was too sweet.  She seemed shocked ( I now understand why).  I tested on skin.  The opening lasts a few mins, then goes to a horrid smell, then to a powdery cool sweetness after 20 mins that I like.  Very mild and soft.  Seems to end with obnoxious sweet alcohol-smell.










Dior Miss Dior EdT (now known as Miss Dior Original because of Dior's stupidity and greed)
Horridly sharp from the get-go!  Ends in a grandma heart (same scent), and now the drydown seems to be slightly sweeter, warmer, less sharp, and more pleasant.  Gets much nicer on drydown.  
Edit: I later added this:
 No it doesn't. 


Second edit, a few months after writing these notes:  I suspect that "sharp" note was civet, which I now adore and also didn't like in Shalimar when trying it this same week (hated it so much I didn't bother writing notes!).  Note to non-perfumistas: what I just said is pure blasphemy in the perfume world.  Now that I understand perfume much better, I completely would like to smack my past-self after I said such horrid things about Shalimar. ;) 











Dior Diorrisimo
No change or development.  Flowers.  Obnoxious powdery flowers.  Very strong.









Prada Infusion d'Iris
Unfortunately doesn't last long.  Opens very fresh.  Very very fresh, almost masculine.  Goes into flowery - but not powdery - scent; not overpowering.  Very nice development; smelled quite a few notes.  Too mild, in the sense that I cannot smell it, much.  Must find way to strengthen.  Not worth the price for no sillage!











Chanel Coco (NOT MADEMOISELLE):
Opens in comforting sweetness, then goes into cooler sweetness.  Good in small amounts for summer or just a pick-me-up.  Nice soft sophisticated spice in drydown that is ultra comforting.  Then goes back to sweet coolness. 
Note:  I now own a bottle of this.














Serge Lutens Jeux de Peau
Tastes like curry/brown caramelised sugar.  Somehow liked it towards the end, as a comfort scent. Did not like at all. Try again one day. 
Note: Ah, the recognisable confusion of a person first exposed to Serge Lutens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, love, respect, hate, or randomness on this post here: