21 July 2012

Perfume Review: Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia

(This review is part of the "30 Perfumes in 30 Days" series)


Let me start with two positives (uh-oh!).  Firstly, the print ad is gorgeous, and so is the commercial.  The model is already totally beautiful, but the make-up, photography and Photoshop used to "pop" her beauty has done her justice.  This is one of my favourite ads when it comes to how beautiful a model looks.  I also feel that the commercial matches the description.  Here's the commercial:




Secondly, I loved this fragrance at one point, simply because I felt that it had a masculine, empowering tone which made it different from my other scents.  I used to ADORE this because I felt that it was unique and original.  Would I still feel the same now?  Test notes below:

I note now that I must have sensed the lemon, which can make a scent seem masculine.  As with most department store frags, it is a very sugared lemon.  I also sense a sugary synthetic mint note (I usually don't like peppermint in my scents, but because this note is synthetic it may explain why I don't mind it too much).  Some herb is coming through, like pepper, it makes the frag smell messy, like an accidental spill.  Very aquatic; more watery than usual mainstream frags.  I see that Fragrantica lists "sugar" as a note; not surprised.  Something smells "off" now; I suspect it might be the synthetic mint note combining with something.  This is a perfect fragrance for someone who wants to stay in the department store fragrance realm, but have something slightly different than the rest.  It is different, but only in the mainstream realm.  Compared to niche brands, this scent is just another one that'll be forgotten.  It develops BEAUTIFULLY into some sort of burned brown sugar scent which I adore. 

Verdict:  The longevity (which is poor compared to the scents I am now used to) makes this hard to keep.






2 comments:

  1. I didn't find the hint of "masculinity" but it did border on raw power. Though I ended up buying the wife Hugo Boss Orange.
    Easier reads than the perfume boxes. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is probably the mint or herb! I've never smelled Hugo Boss Orange, actually.

      Thank you! :)

      There's way more reviews coming; just haven't had time to type them all (have a book of 120 tested fragrances in the space of 2-3 months)!

      Delete

Share your thoughts, love, respect, hate, or randomness on this post here: