15 July 2012

Question Time: Have you ever made a time capsule?

I just watched the video below, and it reminded me of the letter I recently found in a bunch of papers, that I had written to myself when I was 7 years old.  It was an assignment we had had at school; I think we were meant to open it after 2000 as there were all those rumours going round about the world ending etc.  My letter was pretty boring, and went something like this:

Hi Melissa!

I am 7.  I live in Holland.  I like purple.  I like dogs.  I like etc etc etc.


Now, looking back, I wish I had made a more elaborate letter (I loved writing), and I feel it is something I will probably encourage my children to do every 5 or so years.  Some could say it's a bunch of nostalgic nonsense, but I feel that when we are children, our eyes are more open and we are much more accepting and tolerant.  They say that we can learn big lessons from little children, so why not learn from our own past?






Have you ever written to your future self?
What do you think of this idea?
What is the point of it, in your opinion? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, love, respect, hate, or randomness on this post here: