10 August 2012

Perfume Review: Amouage Jubilation XXV

Yes, I'm reviewing another men's scent.  I was going to blog about Lush products, and my new decanting set, but this will do for today as I have a full day ahead - no time to take pictures of my packages!

Amouage is known for being a royal company in more ways than one.  They have a price tag suited for royalty, but also have a royal air about them (both the look and scent).  See here the description I stole from NST:
Amouage is a luxury perfume house established in Oman in 1983 by the Sultan of Oman, who hoped to revive and redefine the ancient Omani art of perfumery. Amouage (the name is a mash-up of “amour” + an Arabic word meaning “waves”) uses the traditional materials of Middle Eastern perfumery, such as frankincense and myrrh, but the perfumes are developed by perfumers from the major Fragrance & Flavor companies and are geared towards an international clientele.

Edit:  The creative director of Amouage contacted me to let me know this is wrong information.  The following info is correct, and taken directly from their website:

  
Founded over a quarter of a century ago, Amouage is a niche luxury fragrance house that draws inspiration from its birthplace of the Sultanate of Oman, infusing reference points from a rich and colorful heritage that fires the imagination of all who come into contact with its wonderful products.

Oman is a country that is proud of its heritage.
Its history goes back to the dawn of civilisation and permeates everything: the peaks where the frankincense trees grow and the sand dunes that cover the legendary cities of Sinbad the Sailor and the Arabian Nights. The coastal area fronting the Gulf of Oman is believed to have been known to the Sumerians as early as 3,000 B.C. and remains of settlements and distinctive beehive tombs are a legacy of this era.

A visit to the capital city of Muscat, will reveal a friendly and modern city full of culture, framed by the towering mountains of the Jebel Akhdar range. Travel further afield to experience the northern lagoons and south to the beautiful beaches of Salalah. The local people will always extend a warm welcome in keeping with their long tradition of hospitality.



It's interesting to note that the ad design always matches the fragrance in my opinion.  The fragrance does have a sparkle at the top that is light but always present.  It is not a dark scent (hence the moon shining), but it does have a depth to it that is cool and mysterious.  Anyway, enough about the ad.  Let me break down the scent for you. :)



It opens with a freshness I'm not used to in Amouage.  It wafts a sweetness I like.  I immediately sense a syrupy back-of-the-throat sweetness similar to the one in Parfum d'Empire Aziyade, Amouage Memoir, and good licorice scents; not in your face, but lightly trailing along in the air like a mini fairy godmother.  Closer to skin I smell the spices, and an oudh-like wet wood.  The musty patchouli comes out eagerly on my skin.  I am not a patchouli hater - many are - but I am not a patchouli lover either.  Patch, for me, is like one of those things in life you know is just wrong, but can't stop enjoying.  It has an ancient feeling that appeals to the primal instincts, and together with the gorgeously blended resins and that sweet syrupy fruit trail still popping in once in a while, it smells like I would like my man - or myself - to smell.


I actually find the Jubilation 25 (for women) to be drier, spicier, and less appealing.  This has a sweetness that is countered by the spices from Jubilation 25, but only a bit.  I'm not in love with how it is on my skin (when I sniff it close) when it first opens, but the wafting it provides is heavenly.  I think the way the sweetness sometimes disappears may cause some women to stray away from it, if they prefer their juice sweet.  There is a beautiful balance between sweet and spicy woods, and there definitely is a "power" in here that one could describe as masculine. 


It dries down to a powdery soft wood that reminds me of an oil I love called Sirius Black.  It also has immortelle in it, so that might be it.  The woods and the musk combine at the base to create a skin scent that is cool, rounded and a total chameleon.  I dare you to try to name notes with this (or any Amouage in general, as they are so skilfully blended) - different notes keep showing up, which I consider to be the sign of a beautifully crafted scent.  The sweet wafting continues, and to be honest - I'm not sure I want to keep analysing this one.  It's so gorgeous that I keep feeling inadequate with my little perfume knowledge. 


The big question is: would I wear it though? Yes, PLEASE.  It's very classy, definitely not in your face or rebellious - yet so unique.  I'm not sure if it is FBW (full-bottle worthy) yet (Memoir comes first!), but I will definitely be pulling this sample out of my boyfriend's closet more often.  I think I might put my Jubilation 25 in there as a replacement - and then if he doesn't like it, I'll say "Gosh, yes, that Jubilation is horrid!  Maybe it's your skin." ;)

4 comments:

  1. HA HA "Maybe it's your skin!" genius.
    Portia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perfume made me do it - I'm innocent! ;)
      x

      Delete
  2. M - This is one Amouage that I haven't tried. Thanks to your description, it's going on my list of testers! Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear! Come back to let me know what you think :)
      (or write a review :D )

      Delete

Share your thoughts, love, respect, hate, or randomness on this post here: